Skin tears in the elderly
Inappropriate treatment or untreated tears in the elderly lead to skin ulcers
Prevention is better than cure.
- Maintain adequate nutrition and hydration
- Use moisturizer twice a day
- Wear long sleeves and slacks
- Use gloves to protect skin from the job or the tools
- Remember hats and glasses to protect eyes and scalp
- Review the work site for falls risk or tight spaces
Remember common skin tears occur from pets, self closing doors , sharp cupboards, tow bars, corners of car doors in tight car parks, wheel chairs and walker frames.
First Aid for flap tears
Wash with cold water only
Apply a non adherent dressing kept in place with a compressive bandage and elevate the injured part – AVOID adhesive dressings and cotton wool.